Source: Bureau of Meteorology

For people in South West, South Coastal, Great Southern and parts of Lower West and South East Coastal districts.

Issued at 12:02 pm Thursday, 31 October 2019.

Cold and squally conditions may produce severe weather over southwest WA from overnight Thursday.

Weather Situation: A deep cold pool will move across southern WA overnight Thursday and during Friday morning.

Thunderstorms and showers may produce DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 100 kilometres per hour which could cause DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY. Damaging winds are expected to develop along the west coast around 10 pm this evening, extending eastwards after midnight. Damaging winds are more likely to occur in coastal parts of the warning area, but will be more localised over inland areas.

Tides are likely to rise above the normal high tide mark with very rough seas and potential flooding of low-lying coastal areas.

DAMAGING SURF CONDITIONS are possible which could cause BEACH EROSION south of Cape Naturaliste.

Locations which may be affected include Albany, Bunbury, Busselton, Katanning, Mandurah, Manjimup, Margaret River, Mount Barker, Narrogin, Ravensthorpe, Wagin and Walpole.

This is typical winter-time weather over southwest WA, however it is unusual for these weather conditions to occur this late in the year.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.